Are you looking for a healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins recipe? Look no further! Today we have these fantastic Keto friendly egg muffin cups which the whole family will love.
This egg muffin recipe is not only Keto-friendly, it is bariatric friendly for anyone looking for low carb, high protein recipe ideas.
I’m sure you will love these healthy egg muffins and they will go down a treat!
Why You’ll Love These Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Time-Saving Breakfast: Prep muffin cups in advance for a quick morning meal.
- Customizable Delight: Tailor these egg muffins to your taste and dietary preferences.
- Healthy and Portable: Enjoy a protein-packed, portion-controlled breakfast on the go.
Ingredients for Muffin Tin Breakfast Eggs
- 6 Green Onions (diced): Adds a fresh and mild onion flavor, providing a vibrant touch.
- Red Pepper: Brings a sweet and slightly tangy taste, complementing the savory elements.
- 1 Orange Pepper: Adds a pop of color and a sweet, citrusy undertone.
- Turkey Sausage: Infuses a lean protein source, contributing a savory and hearty element.
- 6 Eggs (beaten): Forms the base, providing a protein-rich structure for a wholesome breakfast.
- Taco Blend Shredded Cheese: Adds a melty, savory richness with a hint of Mexican-inspired flair.
- Salsa for Dipping: A zesty condiment that complements the muffins, adding a refreshing and tangy kick for dipping delight. Here is a great homemade salsa recipe.
How to Make Breakfast Egg Muffins
Here is a step by step guide for making easy egg muffins.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a muffin pan really well.
Start by adding a spoon full of diced veggies to the bottom of each muffin tin.
Brown your turkey sausage in a skillet, and add a spoon fill of turkey sausage to the bottom of each tin.
In a mixing bowl mix you beaten eggs and milk until well combined.
You can add a teaspoon or two of taco seasoning, if you want to spice things up!
Fill each muffin tin to the top with egg mixture.
Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until baked through.
Enjoy your Keto Friendly Egg Muffins!
Tips for Making Breakfast Egg Muffin Cups
- Prep Ahead: Dice and chop all ingredients the night before to streamline the morning process and ensure a quick assembly and easy meal prep.
- Customize Ingredients: Feel free to swap or add ingredients based on personal preferences or dietary needs, making these muffins versatile and tailored to your liking.
- Grease the Muffin Tin: To prevent sticking, thoroughly grease the muffin tin or use silicone liners for easy removal.
- Even Egg Distribution: Pour beaten eggs evenly into each muffin cup, ensuring a consistent texture across all muffins.
- Mindful Seasoning: While the taco blend shredded cheese adds flavor, be mindful of additional seasoning to suit personal taste preferences.
Egg Muffin Variations
- Vegetarian Twist: Skip the turkey sausage and experiment with ingredients like spinach, mushrooms, or black beans for a meatless alternative.
- Mediterranean Flair: Incorporate ingredients like feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and Kalamata olives for a Mediterranean-inspired flavor profile.
- Spicy Kick: Add diced jalapeños or a pinch of cayenne pepper to spice things up and give your breakfast muffins a fiery twist.
- Italian Delight: Replace taco blend cheese with mozzarella, and add ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and Italian sausage for a savory Italian touch.
- Breakfast Burrito Style: Include ingredients like diced bell peppers, cheddar cheese, onions, and a touch of cumin to give your muffins a breakfast burrito-inspired flavor.
- Cheesy Bacon Bliss: Infuse extra richness by incorporating crispy bacon bits along with your favorite cheese blend for a hearty and indulgent variation.
What to Serve With This Egg Muffin Recipe?
- Fresh Fruit Salad: Pair the breakfast muffins with a colorful assortment of fresh fruits for a refreshing and nutritious side.
- Greek Yogurt: Enjoy the muffins with a side of Greek yogurt for added protein and a creamy texture that complements the savory muffins.
- Avocado Slices: Enhance the meal with creamy avocado slices, providing a rich and buttery contrast to the egg muffins.
- Mixed Greens: Create a simple side salad with fresh spinach tossed in a light vinaigrette for a fresh and crunchy accompaniment.
- Breakfast Potatoes: Serve the muffins alongside crispy roasted or hash brown potatoes for a satisfying and hearty breakfast.
- Sliced Tomatoes: Enjoy the muffins with slices of juicy tomatoes for a burst of freshness that complements the savory flavors.
- Cottage Cheese: Pair the muffins with a dollop of cottage cheese for a creamy and protein-packed side.
- Smoked Salmon: Elevate your breakfast by serving the muffins with smoked salmon and a dollop of cream cheese for a luxurious touch.
Can You Freeze Breakfast Egg Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these egg cups by wrapping them individually and labeling with the date, ensuring a convenient and quick breakfast option for busy mornings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Egg Substitutes?
Yes, egg substitutes like egg whites or plant-based alternatives can be used, but the texture may vary.
How Do I Prevent the Muffins From Sticking to the Tin?
Thoroughly grease the muffin tins or use silicone muffin liners to prevent sticking.
Can I Make Them Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! These muffins are perfect for meal prep. Bake egg muffins and prepare in advance and refrigerate or freeze for later use.
What Other Cheese Options Work Well?
Cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, or any favorite cheese blend can be used for varied flavors.
Can I Bake Them in Advance and Reheat?
Yes, bake ahead and reheat in the microwave or oven for a quick breakfast on busy mornings.
Are They Suitable for a Low-Carb Diet?
Certainly, omitting or reducing ingredients like peppers and using a low-carb cheese can make them suitable for a low-carb diet.
How Long Do They Last in the Refrigerator?
Stored in an airtight container, they can last for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can I Make Them Gluten-Free?
Yes, by ensuring that all ingredients, including the sausage and cheese, are gluten-free, you can make these muffins suitable for a gluten-free diet.
How Can I Add More Veggies?
Experiment with additional veggies like spinach, mushrooms, or tomatoes to boost the nutritional content.
Can I Use a Different Type of Meat?
Absolutely, try bacon, ham, or cooked ground chicken as alternative meat options for a different flavor profile.
- 6 Green Onions diced
- Red Pepper
- 1 orange Pepper
- 1/2 Lb turkey sausage
- 6 Eggs beaten
- Taco blend shredded cheese
- Salsa for dipping
- Baked Muffin Tin
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin really well.
- Start by adding a spoon full of diced veggies to the bottom of each tin.
- Brown your turkey sausage in a skillet, and add a spoon fill of turkey sausage to the bottom of each tin.
- In a mixing bowl mix you beaten eggs and milk until well combined.
- You can add a teaspoon or two of taco seasoning, if you want to spice things up!
- Fill each muffin tin to the top with egg mixture.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until baked through. Enjoy your Keto Friendly Egg Muffins!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 235mgSodium: 557mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 20g
More Keto Friendly Recipes:
- 10 High Protein Foods To Eat After Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Sheet Pan Keto Vegetables
- Keto Chicken Buffalo Wraps
Check out our Free 7 Day Keto Meal Plan!