Today on The Inspiration Edit we are sharing some fun and interesting facts about Earth. This is a great opportunity to teach kids more about our planet and the wider solar system. We also have a fantastic earth day craft that you can make with the little ones. So let’s get started!
Interesting Facts About Earth
Did you know that…
- The Earth is the only planet in our solar system not named after a god or goddess.
- The Earth is the third closest planet to the sun.
- The Earth rotates on its axis once every 23 hours and 56 minutes.
- The Earth is the fifth largest planet in our solar system.
- The Earth has a diameter of around 12,700km.
- The Earth is the densest planet in our solar system.
- The Earth has a mass of 5.97 x 10^24 kg.
- The Earth’s gravity is 9.81 m/s2.
- Earth day is celebrated on the 22nd of April.
So there you have it, some interesting facts about Earth.
More Earth Facts
- The Earth’s crust is made up of tectonic plates which move around on the planet’s surface.
- The Earth has one natural satellite, the Moon.
- The Earth’s atmosphere is made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% other gases.
- The average temperature on Earth is 61 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The highest mountain on Earth is Mount Everest which stands at 29,035 feet tall.
- The deepest point on Earth is the Mariana Trench which has a depth of 35,814 feet.
- Earth is thought to be around 4.5 billion years old.
- There are thought to be around 7.5 billion people living on Earth.
So there you have it, some interesting facts about Earth. Why not try our earth day craft with the kids and teach them a little more about our planet at the same time!
What You Will Need for This Earth Day Craft:
How to Make This Earth Day Craft
Begin by printing your Earth template. The download is free and can be found at the bottom of this page.
Trace the template pieces onto blue and green card. Cut out the Blue circle for the ocean and the green land template pieces.
You can now glue all the parts to your planet Earth.
Once completed you are ready to make a space themed background for your planet. Alternatively you can simply stick onto paper with lines below if you wish to make this into a craft and writing exercise for the kids.
To Create a Space Background for Your Earth Day Project
To create a background, grab a piece of black construction paper and splatter white paint onto the background. You could also add specks of gold, silver or purple to make it a little different.
Once the background is dry prepare to paste your Planet Earth Craft to the background. It will look great and can be used as a display or a craft to take home.
Your planet Earth craft is now complete. This is a great activity for Earth day or for a time when your teaching kids about the planet, about Earth or the solar system.
Get Your Planet Earth Template Here
You May Love the Following Kids Crafts
- Easy DIY Space Rocket Kids Craft
- Fun Earth Day Craft For Kids
- Handprint Art Space Rocket Craft
- Spaceship Alien Craft For Kids
- How The Earth Rotates Stem Craft
- Easy Space Rocket Craft For Kids
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and is passionate about kids crafts and having fun as a family. Angela has also taught cooking skills and loves to share both family recipes and easy crafts here on The Inspiration Edit. Follow her on Pinterest!