Healthy Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Are you looking for a breakfast option that is bariatric friendly and low carb? This healthy Mexican breakfast casserole is both bariatric friendly and low carb.
Why Is Breakfast Casserole Good for You?
Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you won’t go wrong with this breakfast casserole. Here are just a few reasons you will want to pin this recipe for later.
- It’s packed with protein
- This recipe is a great low carb breakfast idea
- This egg casserole is packed with nutrition
- Mexican food rocks!
BREAKFAST CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS
- 8 eggs
- 1 small tomato – chopped 1
- 4-ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard (powder)
- Pinch of salt (not much because the baking powder adds just a bit of salty flavor as well)
- 2 ounces red onion – diced coarsely
- 1-ounce cheddar cheese shredded (any Mexican blend would work fine)
How to Make Egg Casserole
- Spray pie pan with nonstick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop tomatoes and red onion.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, baking powder, ground mustard, and salt till well mixed.
- Add green chilis, red onion, and cheese and stir together.
- Pour into prepared pie pan and bake approximately 30 minutes till eggs are fully done.
6. Garnish with salsa, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes. We always serve this with bacon or sausage on the side and a small serving of fruit.
This casserole Reheats well in the microwave if you have leftovers.
Can You Freeze Egg Casserole?
One of the best things about this meal is that you can make it and freeze it for later! In fact, it can be frozen for up to 2-months before needing to be eaten. Once frozen, you will want to thaw the egg casserole overnight in the refrigerator. After it has thawed, place in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-minutes to reheat.
Keep in mind that freezing it means it won’t taste as delicious as it did when you first baked it. So, if you would like to have that fresh-baked casserole, you can freeze the mixture without cooking it. Then when you are ready to eat it, just cook it in the oven after defrosting it.
Looking for other low-fat recipes? Check out our Easy Low-Carb Meals You Can Cook post.