Not all kids love reading! In fact, that’s exactly why Dr. Seuss wrote the books he wrote. He wanted to make reading fun for kids, and boy did he do a good job! National Dr. Seuss Day is March 2, but many schools across the globe celebrate Dr. Seuss for the whole week or even month. One of my favorite Dr. Seuss’ books is “Fox in Socks.” And, this Fox in Socks Puppet is the perfect after reading craft to do with it!
Why Read Fox in Socks
Fox in Socks is a classic Dr. Seuss book. It brings animals to life, has you reading silly rhymes, and makes reading fun for both kids and adults. Kids love Fox in Socks, but what they don’t realize is all the great things they are learning to do when they read it. Here’s why you should read Fox in Socks, or have your kids read it to you.
- They learn rhyming. Rhyming is a great way for kids to learn and identify words that sound the same.
- It’s great for teaching prepositional phrases. Even older kids can learn through Fox in Socks.
- Alliteration also comes to play. When teaching about poems and parts of speech, this book also opens the door for giving kids a headstart on learning alliteration.
While reading, kids don’t even realize they are learning higher level concepts.
Fox in Socks Puppet Activities
A great way for kids to really hone in their reading skills is to put their artistic abilities to work. Crafts are always a great way to build comprehension and allow children to express their creative side. This fox in socks puppet is a great way for kids to express themselves, but there’s lots of fun activities you can do with it as well. Here are just a few:
- Have a puppet show. Puppet shows allow children to work on their public speaking skills, but they also expand their imaginations.
- Let the puppet read. Puppets like to read too, and this puppet is a great way to get kids reading more books aloud.
- Play rhyming games. Think of a word, and have your child use the puppet to tell you words that rhyme.
Supplies Need to Make a Fox in Socks Puppet
To make your own puppet, you won’t need much! Snatch these supplies up on Amazon:
How to Make a Fox in Socks Puppet
This craft is super simple to do that you can even have toddlers help make their own Fox in Socks puppet. Follow the simple steps below:
Step 1: Print Template
First, download and print out the Fox in Socks template onto your cardstock.
Step 2: Cut the Pieces
Next, cut out all the Fox in Socks pieces and set aside.
Step 3: Glue Pieces to Paper Bag
Then, glue the large rectangle onto the front of the bag. After that, glue the head onto the top of the bag.
Finish gluing the rest of the pieces onto the puppet.
Step 4: Add some Detail
With the white chalk marker, add detail to your fox.
Other Puppet Crafts
Puppets are a fun way for kids to learn, and they are super easy to make at home! If you like the idea of a puppet show, check out some of my other puppet crafts, below:
Did you enjoy making this craft with your kiddos? If so, please pin this to Pinterest for others to enjoy! Remember, sharing is caring.