25 Fun The Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities
Are you looking for some fantastic Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities? Look no further. The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of my all-time favourite books and today I am sharing a collection of very hungry caterpillar teaching activities that are perfect for preschool kids.
Teaching Through Child Based Interests
Whether your at home or a teacher at Kindergarten there is so much you can teach a child through interest based play and it’s one thing I feel very passionate about.
Using a child’s interests to extend learning is a great way to scaffold and support a child in their early years development. I am a strong believer in child lead play and in enabling children to build upon their existing interests. This is why I’m so excited to share with you these amazing The Very Hungry Caterpillar activities and Ideas.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities
As a qualified early years teacher I fell in love with this book and over the years have done several crafts and learning activities with young children that have taken an interest in the story.
I am super excited to be sharing 25 fantastic preschool ideas based on the book, “The Very Hungry Caterpillar”.
Art and crafts can be a great way to help children develop a number of skills including:
- Fine motor skills.
- Literacy development
- Speaking skills
- Social development and engagement.
Having fun and using stories as a basis for learning can help children to develop their imagination and creative sides.
I hope you enjoy the collection of The Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities. Enjoy!
Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities That Teach Fine Motor Skills
1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities For Toddlers [Extremely Good Parenting]
This is a fantastic idea and teaches children to thread and develop fine motor skills while they create a very hungry caterpillar.
2. Caterpillar Colour Sorting Activity [Parenting Chaos]
The second very hungry caterpillar activity is a colour sorting activity aimed to help kids sort and problem solve.
3. Caterpillar Necklace [Hands On As We Grow]
This caterpillar necklace is a fantastic way to get the imagination going, encourage creativity, sequencing and threading.
4. Edible Butterfly Cycle [My Joy Filled Life]
Teaching about the lifecycle of the butterfly goes along with the book and is a great way to extend what the book teaches about the lifecycle of a caterpillar.
5. Foam Craft The Very Hungry Caterpillar [The Inspiration Edit ]
This is an easy foam craft and a fun way to create a Very Hungry Caterpillar Mask or face.
Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities and Crafts
6. The Very Hungry Caterpillar Craft [Kid Z Activities]
This very hungry caterpillar craft is made from an egg carton and is a fun art activity based upon the story book.
7. Caterpillar Story Props [All Join In]
This fun sorting activity for preschoolers is a great way to sort and follow the oder of the story and sequence what food the very hungry caterpillar ate first.
8. Tissue Paper Butterfly [Preschool Play]
Tissue Butterflies are a fantastic children’s art idea and and a super easy and simple paper craft for kids.
9. Cup Painting Caterpillar [I Can Teach My Child]
Why not try this Very Hungry Caterpillar activity. It used cups to paint the sections of the caterpillars body.
10. Caterpillar Creation Center [Two Princess’s and one Dude]
I love this creation center. Why not set up a tray of green and red items and let the little ones create their own caterpillar on a leaf.
Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities That Use The Imagination
11. The Very Hungry Caterpillar Sensory Bin [The Imagination Tree]
I love this Very Hungry Caterpillar sensory tub. It’s such a cleaver and unique idea and perfect for little ones as well as children with special needs and Autism.
12. Paper Plate Caterpillars [In The Playroom]
These Painted Caterpillar plates are so cool and such fun to make. You won’t need many supplies for this caterpillar project!
13. The Very Hungry Caterpillar Playdough Activity [Craft Play Learn]
I do love this fun plaYdough caterpillar activity. What a clever idea using playdough and toys to create the Very Hungry Caterpillar.
14. Caterpillar Clip Cards [The Stem Laboratory]
You might want to use stem cards and use the story to help teach kids counting skills and basic maths.
15. Cupcake Liner Butterfly [In The Playroom]
Have you ever made a caterpillar from cupcake liners? This is a real crafty idea and great for gluing and sticking.
Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities For The Classroom
17. C is for Caterpillar [The Inspired Home]
This is a super cute idea and I love the colourful pom-poms used to make this letter C craft idea.
18. Caterpillar art [I can Teach My Child]
These Caterpillars are great fun and use pipe cleaners for ears. I think they are brilliant, so simple and easy to make.
19. Caterpillar Pinata [Boy Mamma Teacher Mamma]
Why not try a paper mache project and create an amazing Very Hungry Caterpillar Pinata? It looks so fun!
20. Caterpillar Headband [LibraryLand]
A simple Very hungry caterpillar headband is a great idea and something the kids might love to wear while reading the story.
Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities That Can Teach About Colour
21. Sparkly Spring Clothespin Caterpillars [J-Man and Miller Bug]
These sparkly caterpillar bugs are so so cute and colourful and are super simple to make with little ones.
22. Montessori Inspired Eric Carle Activities [Living Montessori Now]
Here we have a colourful felt caterpillar which can be used to teach the very hungry caterpillar story.
23. Fine Motor Caterpillar Craft [Learning and Exploring Through Play]
These twisted pipe cleaner caterpillars are so colourful and bright and a great activity for preschool kids.
24. Caterpillar Coloring and Tracing [Tot Schooling]
We wouldn’t be complete without sharing these tracing and colouring worksheets based on the theme and story.
25. Bottle Cap Caterpillar Craft [All Kids Network]
Last but not least we have a fun caterpillar made from bottle tops. What a great recycling idea!
Life Glow DIY Polyester Stiff Felt Fabric Squares Sheets Assorted Colors 6×6 inch for Crafts, 1mm Thick 40PcsThe Very Hungry CaterpillarOutus Pompoms, Self-sticking Wiggle Googly Eyes, Chenille Stems for Craft DIY Art Supplies, 450 Pieces
You may also like the following posts:
You might also enjoy 350+ Japanese Baby Names