What makes an unusual name? Is it the spelling, or is it just how rare that particular name is? Picking your child’s name might be one of the hardest things you’ll have to do as a parent. You want something unique but not too far out there. You want your child to be able to spell and pronounce their name with ease, but you also don’t want their peers teasing them throughout school because of a name you chose.
There are literally thousands of unique baby girl names to choose from, which makes it hard when choosing the best baby girl name for your child. Today we have compiled a list below of some uncommon names for girls that are sure to set your child apart from the crowd. Do let me know which you like best.
Uncommon Baby Girl Games
You’ll find that some of these names have been around for hundreds of years, while others are much newer but still uncommon enough to give you peace of mind. All of our names are ranked in the US top 1000, which means they are rare without being too far out there. We also made sure to keep the genders of these names unbiased, so there is a name on this list regardless if you are having a boy or girl.
1. Raffaella – Italian for Raphael, a name of Hebrew origin meaning God has healed.
2. Rowan – A Celtic tree name with English origins that was used by Shakespeare in his play ‘Macbeth’ and means little redhead.
3. Orla – A name of Gaelic origin that means golden and is actually the Irish version of a very popular name today, Olivia.
4. Magdalene – The biblical name means ‘woman from Magdala.’ It has been around since medieval times but was made famous again in 2006 when it was used for actress
5. Rome – The capital city of Italy, which is beautiful.
6. Sabine – A classic Hebrew girl’s name of German origins meaning lady and noblewoman.
8. Rye – An English place name with Old English origins that means someone who lived near rye bread.
9. Olympia – The female version of the boy’s name Ollie, meaning a gift from God.
10. Paloma – A Spanish girl’s name that means ‘dove.’
Rare Baby Names That Are Unusual To Many
Hopefully you will find one that strikes your fancy! If not, we have tons more baby name lists on our blog, including many uncommon baby boy names! That’s a popular post. Why not go check it out!
Here are some rare baby girl names which I find quite unusual and peculiar. The
1. Chanel – A rare name which originated in France as a surname of a fashion designer.
2. Eowyn – A feminine name used by J R R Tolkien, the author of Lord of The Rings saga and meaning noble maiden.
3. Fyrian – An uncommon and unusual baby girl name that may sound familiar, because it was used for the main character in a popular movie series.
4. Harper – A very uncommon name and also the surname of American writer, Nate Lee .
5. Isidora – This rare baby girl name is of Greek origins meaning gift of Isis.
6. Lailah – This unusual baby girl name is an Arabic word which means night.
7. Lillian – A very uncommon girl name of Latin origin meaning beautiful and bright.
8. Oceane – This rare baby girl name is French in origin, which means ocean .
9. Odette – This unusual baby girl name has German roots meaning rich battle maiden.
10. Gigi – Is a girl’s name of French origin, meaning “crown”. Named after the French fashion designer Coco Chanel, although it was far more common in the United States.
Cute Uncommon Baby Girl Names
Now the next set of baby girl names are not only uncommon but they are super cute and names I could just picture for a delightful baby girl.
1. Caleigh – A cute baby girl name with Irish and Gaelic origins that means slender and fair.
2. Dahlia – The name of a flower but also is the title for a Russian ballet, which is why I find this as one of the cutest uncommon names for a girl. .
3. Edelweiss – A very uncommon name that I found while reading the Sound of Music.
4. Kaia – This is a Finnish name, which means the sea and it has made its way onto many baby girl names list for 2013.
5. Myra – A short and uncommon name that is Greek in origin meaning fragrant ointment.
6. Phoebe – A classic and cute baby girl name of Greek in origin, which means bright.
Rare Baby Girl Names You Will Love
If you’ve not found a name for your future daughter yet, then you might want to look at one of these rare baby girl names. They’re certainly not common ones in fact you you might just find them more beautiful than common ones.
Rare baby girl names are not easy to be found, especially if your list of requirements for the name is super long like mine was. By looking at these rare female names, I hope that you can find a name for your daughter easily and quickly without having to spend too much time thinking about it.
1. Amaris – This is a very uncommon baby girl name, which is of Latin origin and it means springtime.
2. Arabella – A cute baby girl name that has German origins and it means beautiful fairy-tale princess.
3. Beryl – A rare baby girl name which was the title for a jewel in Roman.
4. Celine – This a cute and uncommon baby girl name of Latin origin which means blind.
5. Corinne – A rare baby girl name with French origins, which means maiden or young lady.
6. Daphne – It’s an uncommon baby girl name but it has a rich history as being the title of a Greek myth.
7. Eilidh – A rare baby girl name with a Scottish or Gaelic origin meaning gift of God.
8. Freja – A rare baby girl name of Norse origins, which means lady.
Still Unsure? Here Are Some Tips For Choosing Your Daughter’s Name
- Think about the initial letter of your daughter’s name. Is it soft? Loud? What does it imply?
- Look at the meaning and origin of each potential name. You can find this on a reliable website or by looking on google.
- Think about how your daughter would like her name to sound. Will she be a girl that loves being loud and confident? Or is she more understated?
- If you are unsure if the name will go well with your daughter’s personality, then imagine what celebrity or fictional character your daughter will look like. Then check out the meaning of their name and whether or not it fits with their personality too.
- Also think about what your child’s teachers will say when she is in school if her name isn’t the most common one. Will the teachers have trouble saying her name even though it has a nice meaning?
- As well as this, don’t forget about nicknames! You might want your daughters nickname to be something that goes along with the meaning of her name. If you’re daughter’s name is Freja, perhaps she will like it if her nickname ‘Frey’. I called my daughter Sylvia but for short we call her Sylvy
Choosing The Right Name For Your Baby Girl
Sometimes people have a really difficult time picking out a name for their baby. It can be quite stressful to find the perfect one. Other times, people just want something different and rare than the themes that everyone else seems to be going for.
There are a lot of cute and uncommon baby girl names out there that you can choose from, so hopefully the list above will give you some ideas on where to start your search. I know it certainly did for me. Good luck and don’t forget to let me know what name you chose in the end!
You may also enjoy the following baby related posts: