Natural Supplements After Gastric Bypass Surgery: Are They Really Necessary?
Gastric bypass surgery can literally save your life. However, the way the surgery works to treat obesity, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc., will be the same way that it deprives your body of the nutrients it desperately needs. Understanding your body’s needs is crucial for a healthy life post- surgery.
What Happens in Your Body During Digestion?
Digestion occurs as food enters your mouth and continues until it exits via your rectum. Your body breaks down food mechanically by making it smaller, and chemically, by using enzymes to extract nutrients. Only then can food be absorbed by the small intestines in order to be used for energy.
Losing Weight From Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric bypass surgery works in two ways. First, it limits the amount of food which can enter the stomach by making the stomach smaller. This will result in feeling full on a small amount of food. The second step of the surgery is connecting the new, smaller stomach to the small intestines.
The small intestines is usually changed somewhat so that food will not travel down it’s entire length. All of this means that there are less nutrients available and less room for them to be absorbed.
So, if less nutrients are being absorbed into your body, is your body in trouble? The short answer is, yes. While gastric bypass is solving your major problems, it is also creating a new one. Luckily for you, there are easy ways to supplement your nutrition to ensure your body is functioning properly.
Natural Supplements: Just a Fad?
When you were eating a well-rounded diet full of vitamins and minerals, it was likely that you didn’t need supplements. However, once you limit food choices and portions, you will be lacking essential vitamins and minerals.
After identifying the supplements you need, finding the right brand is crucial. Criteria to look for include:
- FDA approved lab – Take care to check if the supplements have been made in an FDA approved laboratory.
- Pure ingredients – Always read the label before you buy or ingest any supplement.
- Based on clinical studies – Peruse the research and make sure it is based on real clinical studies.
- Third party tested – This is crucial for any reputable supplement brand.
Authority Reports offers unbiased reviews on different types of supplements; click here to find the ones which are the right fit for you.
Supplementing Essential Nutrients
By having a routine blood test, your doctor can assess exactly which supplements are right for you. Some supplements that may be recommended are:
- Calcium – Calcium is essential for bones being strong and healthy, blood clotting and the heart beating. If enough calcium is not ingested, it is taken from the bones. This can leave bones weak and compromised.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D is necessary to absorb calcium from your body into your bones. The good news is that you can also get Vitamin D from being in the sun – be careful to keep a good balance from too much exposure to UV rays.
- Iron – Iron is necessary for red blood cells to carry oxygen to your cells. Too little iron results in anemia and may leave you weak, dizzy and extremely lethargic.
- Omega3 – Omega3 is important for many parts of your body including vision, cardiac and brain health.
The positive effects that gastric bypass surgery has on obesity is undeniable. However, monitoring your nutrient intake and taking supplements is necessary in order to attain optimal health post-surgery.
PLEASE PIN ME FOR FUTURE REFERENCE