Many homeowners invest in maintenance, repairs, and interiors to attract valuable buyers, but they miss out on a significant increase in property value by not upgrading their outdoors.
Your home outdoors is the first thing the buyer sees, so upgrading it with valuable additions is key for a striking impression and, thus, a generous offer.
But only some upgrades produce a return on investment, and you can quickly lose track of the budget on the others.
Here are five home upgrades you should invest in to increase property value and attract quality buyers.
Increase Property Value With These Outdoor Home Upgrades
Install a Patio
Nothing screams “relaxation” more than a cozy patio. You can host summer barbecues, enjoy morning coffees, or simply sit back and watch the sunset.
A well-designed deck or patio can offer a solid return on investment. It expands the living space of your home and gives potential buyers the idea of a lifestyle, not just a property. Plus, it makes your house stand out in the listings.
Wood decks offer a traditional feel, but composite or even aluminum provide lower maintenance. Budget accordingly, as your material choice and the deck size will significantly affect cost.
- Choose materials that are both durable and attractive.
- Consider adding some built-in features like benches or a fire pit for extra appeal.
Landscaping and Garden Improvements
A well-manicured lawn can transform your home’s appearance. The pop of color with greens and vibrant flowers sets the tone for the rest of the property.
Curb appeal is a big deal when you’re selling a house. Buyers value a lush garden as it offers more than just a house with bricks and concrete. Good landscaping can add up to 20% to your property value.
Ensure to evaluate your current lawn condition. You might need to reseed, fertilize, or plant new flora. Consider adding a wooden fence for your trailing plants to grow effectively. It also provides a more tidy and graceful look. Use a wood fence calculator to know the amount of material you need to calculate the project’s cost.
- Choose low-maintenance plants that look good year-round.
- You can DIY or hire professionals for a more polished look.
Install a Restroom
Building an outdoor bathroom for events is a practical and essential endeavor for ensuring the comfort and convenience of attendees. These outdoor luxury bathroom trailers can be thoughtfully designed to blend seamlessly with the event’s aesthetics while also offering modern amenities. They enhance the overall guest experience, ensuring that attendees can focus on enjoying the event rather than worrying about restroom logistics.
- Level the Ground: Ensure the ground where you plan to place the restroom trailer is level and stable.
- Access to Utilities: Ensure there is easy access to necessary utilities like water and electricity.
Add Outdoor Lighting
Proper outdoor lighting is not just about enhancing the architectural features of your home; it also adds a layer of security to your home.
Good lighting makes your property appealing even when the sun goes down. It also shows potential buyers that the property is well-maintained and safe.
Identify key areas that need illumination—entryways, pathways, and any landscape features you want to highlight. LED lights are a durable and energy-efficient option.
- Solar-powered lights are an eco-friendly and low-maintenance option.
- Use lighting with timers for enhanced security and energy efficiency.
Build an Outdoor Kitchen
Outdoor kitchens are becoming increasingly popular, offering a high return on investment. They are perfect for those who love entertaining and making cooking a social activity.
Building an outdoor kitchen can cost you a lot if not properly planned. You’ll need a cooking source, like a grill, and other amenities, like a sink or a mini-fridge. You must also build a shed to protect it from weather conditions.
- Use weather-resistant materials to protect your investment further.
- Explore materials that compliment your home’s exterior to ensure cohesive aesthetics.
Upgrade Your Driveway
A driveway is often the first thing potential buyers experience when they visit your home. It can give a less-than-favorable first impression if cracked or outdated. A revamped driveway that lets them drive in smoothly dramatically improves your property’s curb appeal and value.
Assess the current state of your driveway to decide if it needs a complete overhaul or just some minor fixes. This can save you from enormous construction costs and provide a better return on investment.
- Opt for durable and easy-to-maintain materials like concrete or asphalt.
- Add a border of bricks or cobblestones for a high-end look without the high-end price.
Investing in your home isn’t just about what’s under the roof; it’s also about enhancing your outdoor space for curb appeal and functionality. From the moment potential buyers set eyes on your property, these outdoor upgrades can help you make a striking impression. Remember, you’re not just selling a house but a lifestyle.
- Carefully plan your upgrades to ensure they provide a return on investment when selling the property.
- Choose materials and features that compliment your home’s exterior.