Upgrading your bathroom is a great way to make it feel more luxurious and comfortable. One of the most popular ways to do this is by installing a tub surround over the existing tile. This gives the room an entirely new look and feel, without having to completely tear out and replace the existing tile. The result is a beautiful and modern look that will last for years.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss what goes into installing a tub surround over existing tile, from choosing the right materials to ensuring proper installation. We’ll also cover some tips and tricks for making sure your new tub surround looks perfect every time. So, let’s get started!
Why You Might Want to Install a Tub Surround
There are many reasons you might want to install a tub surround over existing tile. One reason is that it can provide a more polished look to your bathroom. It can also make your bathroom feel more spacious and open. Additionally, a tub surround ThehomeImproving can protect your walls from water damage and make cleaning your bathroom easier.
How to Remove Existing Tile
If you’re wanting to upgrade your bathroom by installing a new tub surround, but you have existing tile that will need to be removed first, don’t worry! This is a relatively easy process that any do-it-yourselfer can accomplish. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to remove existing tile so that you can install your new tub surround:
1. Begin by using a hammer and chisel to score the grout lines around the tiles. You’ll want to make the scores deep enough so that the chisel can fit in them later.
2. Once all of the grout lines are scored, use the chisel to begin prying the tiles off of the wall. Start at one end and work your way down. Be careful not to damage the drywall or plaster behind the tile as you’re removing it.
3. Once all of the tiles are removed, use a putty knife or other similar tool to scrape away any remaining adhesive or mortar from the wall surface.
4. Once the wall is completely clean and free of debris, you’re ready to begin installing your new tub surround!
How to Install a Tub Surround
If your old tile is in good condition and you like the way it looks, you can install a tub surround over it. This will save you the hassle and expense of tearing out the old tile and starting from scratch. Here’s how to do it:
1. Remove any trim or molding around the perimeter of the room. This will give you access to the tile so that you can remove it.
2. Using a chisel and hammer, break up the tile into small pieces. Be sure to wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from flying debris.
3. Vacuum up all of the debris and then clean the surface with a mild detergent solution.
4. Install a layer of cement board over the existing tile. This will provide a stable surface for your new tub surround.
5. Cut holes in the cement board for any fixtures or pipes that need to be accessed.
6. Apply a layer of thinset mortar over the cement board and then set your new tub surround in place according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Be sure to caulk all seams and joints to create a watertight seal
What Materials You Will Need
If you’re planning on installing a tub surround over existing tile in your bathroom, there are a few things you’ll need to gather before getting started. Here’s a list of materials you’ll need for the project:
-Tub surround (panels and trim)
-High quality construction adhesive
-1/8 inch drill bit
Tips for Installing a Tub Surround
If you’re planning on upgrading your bathroom by installing a new tub surround, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind. First, make sure that the area where you’ll be installing the surround is clean and free of any debris. Next, measure the space you have to work with and purchase a surround that will fit comfortably. Once you have your materials, it’s time to get started on the installation.
Start by removing any old caulking or sealant from the perimeter of the tub. Next, apply a generous amount of construction adhesive to the back wall and sides of the tub surround. Carefully set the surround in place, making sure that it’s level and flush with the walls. Use shims if necessary to level it out.
Once the surround is in place, apply more construction adhesive around the seams where the panels meet. Then, use a caulk gun to apply silicone caulk around the perimeter of the tub. This will help create a watertight seal. Finally, let everything dry for 24 hours before using your new tub surround. Using lime plaster is great for a tub surround. You can learn more about the benefits of lime plaster here.
Installing a tub surround over existing tile is an easy and affordable way to upgrade your bathroom without having to break the bank. It’s quick, simple, and can be done in just a few hours. This means you won’t have to worry about any hassle or mess that come with remodeling your bathroom. Plus, installing a tub surround will give your bathroom an updated look while helping keep moisture out of the walls and floors. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to easily install a tub surround over existing tile for an improved look and feel that will last for years!