Decorating your new home can be exciting but it can also be stressful, and if you don’t plan carefully it can end up being very expensive too. This is why you need to sit down and decide how to tackle the decorating process. What should you do yourself? When should you hire a professional? We’ve got the answers you are looking for below.
Tips on keeping decorating cheap:
If you are decorating on a budget, you can use some of the following tips to ensure your house looks beautiful without breaking the bank:
- Add colour to your walls – It won’t cost you a lot to buy a tin of paint, but it can make a massive difference. You could opt for a stylish two-tone scheme, or perhaps you want to make a bold statement with a feature wall? No matter what you choose, a bit of paint can transform a room without spending a lot. Of course, if you don’t have the time to paint yourself if your room has particularly high walls and ceilings, or if you simply want high quality and professional finish, you can always call in the help of professional painters and decorators. You can even add another layer to the colour on your walls by adding art prints to the room. These will bring even more colour than simply painting the walls, and they’re not expensive to purchase which is another huge bonus.
- Build your own headboard – You can transform your bedroom with a stylish and striking headboard. It is easy to make yourself, as they can be created out of any material imaginable, from illuminated acrylic to hardwood.
- Re–think what you already have – When moving home, it can be very tempting to buy everything from scratch. After all, you don’t want your new place to be decorated identically to your old one. But, it doesn’t have to be! You simply need to look for fresh ways to use your current stuff. You could reupholster a chair for example. Or, instead of buying a new sofa, why not invest in new pillows to change the look?
- Pick up bargains – There are many low-cost home stores nowadays where you can pick up real bargains. The likes of The Range and Dunelm Mill have huge canvases available for less than £20. This is an easy and cheap way to add personality to any room. You may want to create a feature wall and order a wall mural from online.
- Create your own artwork – Another option for adding character and fun to a room is to create your own artwork or add a statement feature wall. This is a fun way to decorate. Plus, when people ask where you bought your wall art, it’s always nice to surprise them and say you made it yourself.
Where you shouldn’t cut corners…
Although it is a good idea to look for bargains and save money where you can, there are a few areas whereby you should not cut corners. For example, while you can make your headboard, you should never cut corners with the bed itself.
From reinforced beds to children’s beds, it is important you purchase something right for the person that is going to be using it. The same goes for things like your sofa.
You are going to be using these items a lot. Therefore, if you go for something that is a low standard, you are only going to end up paying the price in the end when it breaks and you need to buy a replacement.
Do I need to hire someone?
When decorating your home, it can be very tempting to do everything yourself when it comes to decorating your home. After all, you don’t want to spend more money on hiring someone. However, going it alone could cost you more in the long run if you do not do the job correctly.
It is vital to ensure you don’t bite off more than you can chew. You may be able to add some personality to your kitchen with your own original artwork, but if you need an entire kitchen fitted, it’s probably best to leave it in the hands of professionals.
That way, you can have peace of mind that everything has been installed correctly and won’t cause you any problems. Plus, if someone without experience messes around with electrics and such like, they could cause a serious safety hazard.
Hiring the right decorator for you:
If you take a look on the Internet, you will see that you have an abundance of professionals to choose from.
While it can be tempting to go for the cheapest one you can find, this is not the advised approach. If you do this, you are almost certain to suffer at the hands of a lack of quality.
Instead, make sure the company is experienced, the decorators are qualified, and that they have a good reputation in the industry.
This is why it is wise to read reviews that have been left by previous clients. If you come across an alarming number of negative comments, you know that you should focus your search elsewhere.
It’s also important to make sure that the customer is registered and that they have insurance in place should anything go wrong. Once you have taken all of these factors into consideration, you can then let price be the final determining point.
So there you have it: the complete guide to decorating your new home. Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of where you should and should not cut corners with regards to your new home.
There are lots of great ways you can make sure your new abode looks beautiful without spending a fortune. Not only this, though, but you need to recognise when the time is right to hire a professional.
Knowing when is right to cut corners and when isn’t can make or break your new home decoration project. If you follow the tips that have been provided above, you cannot go wrong!
You may also love the following decorating ideas:
Super Cute Wallpapers For The Home that the children will love
Iconic Children’s Wallpaper To Create A Stylish Home
Nursery Room Wallpaper Inspiration For The Home
You might also enjoy 350+ Japanese Baby Names