Are you looking for a way to upgrade your home to a smart home? The first thing you’ll probably need to consider is smart light bulbs. Replacing your standard incandescent bulb with smart multicolor bulbs is the cheapest and fastest way to get that smart home feeling.
These smart color-changing blubs not only alter the mood of a space dramatically but also add convenience. Most smart lighting allows phone app control, smartwatch control, remote control, and voice controls via Wi-Fi of Bluetooth.
Depending on how you want to light your room or your entire house, you will get all types of smart bulbs on the market. But to choose the best and most reliable one can be overwhelming. This guide will help you differentiate between a good and a bad smart bulb.
Why Should You Consider a Smart Bulb?
There are many reasons for incorporating smart bulbs into the house lighting system.
With a modern smart bulb, you get the convenience of adding a cooler light system to your home without having to do any actual wiring. Just put it on a standalone lamp or fix it on a wall with some screws or tape and you’re good to go!
For people who have mobility issues, smart bulbs are a blessing. You can easily shut it off or turn it on with the help of smartphone apps. Some smart blub apps even have light scheduling options, dimming options, light color changing options, and more.
Smart bulbs come in different adjustable colors. Depending on your mood you can choose purple to relax, orange to encourage exercise, or blue to help increase concentration. These bulbs can be an integral part of your decor, rather than something to chase the shadows away.
How To Pick Smart Lighting Bulb
If this is your first time, you should check for the features mentioned below. Smart bulbs are on hype and many copy-cats have come to the market. Don’t get sold for the cheap price, a little expensive but go for a quality product, it’s worth the price and your time.
- App features: Most lighting apps only offer basic on/off options. Look for a bulb that not only offers on/off app features but also has color mode options, brightness adjustment options, and runtime monitoring options.
- Brightness – Depending on how you want to use your blub you will have to decide your ideal blub. If you’re considering it for both outdoor and indoor purposes, a smart blub with a least 200 lumens is needed. For home decor, you can go for less than 100 lumens. Don’t forget the app, if the app has the dimming option, brightness is not an issue.
- Color – Smart blubs is known for its multiple color light features. An ideal blub for a smart home should have at least 5 color options. You don’t want to buy 5 different blub that produce one individual color each. Color-adjustable blubs give you more control over the light and color when you use the app.
- Wireless Network – You can control your smart bulbs wirelessly through smartphone apps in two ways, a) Wi-Fi and b) Bluetooth. Both come with their advantages and disadvantages. Wi-Fi can’t go with you everywhere and Bluetooth doesn’t travel far. Depending on how you want to use your smart bulb you have to decide which one is best for you.
- Compact – Not all but some blubs are compact and best work for outdoor activities. The more a blub is compact the more versatile it can be. But again it depends on how you want to use it. If you’re looking for a two-in-one smart blub to use both indoors and outdoors, check the compactness and recharging ability.
Do Smart Bulbs Needs Hub?
Before I give you the answer let’s first understand what is a hub routed bulb and what is a hubless blub.
Hub vs. Hubless
Hub is a device that plugs into your wifi-router. This hub act as a middleman between your smart blub and your smartphone. All the commands that you send to your blub from your smartphone or by voice command have to go through the hub device.
Any smart bulb that has the word Zigbee or Z-Wave on the product package will need a hub device. This hub allows signals to hop from divide to device, extend the range, and can operate over a significantly longer range than Wi-Fi. But they are costlier and need more accessories and extra hardware.
Whereas, hubless bulbs are those bulbs that can be directly connected to your phone or tablet via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. They are less expensive and don’t need any external router or extra devices.
Hope I answer your question, do smart bulbs need a hub? If you have a Hub system installed at your home go for hub connecting blub if not Bluetooth and Wi-Fi blub are also better options. But depending on your needs, any of these options can help you connect your home lighting to more than just a wall switch.
This is one revolutionary multi-color blub that has all the needed features in one place. Whether you’re looking for a bright light bulb, a magnetic charger bulb, or a camping blub, this one will meet all your needs.
OBulb Pro comes with a featuring 7 light modes including white red, green, blue, and red, that can be controlled by a smartphone app. You can easily select between different light modes as per the ambient need or decoration. Not only the modes, but you can also control brightness, and color, check the remaining runtime and enable group control and data sharing.
Here are some more points that make OBulb Pro superior to many other smart blub in the market.
- With only 2.56-inch in diameter, you can carry OBulb Pro by hand or in a backpack. This makes a perfect bulb for outdoor activities.
- Turn on and off multiple blubs with one click and easy QR code sharing for control sharing.
- OBulb Pro can produce up to 240 lumens and can run up to 84 hours in 4.5 lumens.
- The built-in 1650mAh battery is fully rechargeable via the USB magnetic charging cable in as little as 3 hours.
- This versatile smart blub has a magnetic bottom and can be attached to almost any smooth surface when combined with an adhesive metal badge.
- This high-quality multi-color light orb also boasts 1.5m impact resistance and IPX7 waterproof. OBulb Pro is ready for any environment and adventure.
Color Your World With Smart Bulbs
Colors play a great role in our life, the more colorful our life the happier and healthier we live. Science proves that various shades of white light with variations in color temperature impact our psychological state.
Colors closer to blue are known to have energizing effect when the sun goes up and warm light and warm light such as orange and light red is known to provide relaxation after the sun goes down.
Why not include color in your life with the help of light bulbs and upgrade your home and life to the next level. The next generation of lighting has arrived with the Smart OBulb Pro from Olight. Let it take you home to the next level.
More useful and interesting functions will be added to the OBulb Pro app in the future. With app control enabled, the OBulb Pro marks the new start in smart home lighting.