There are two things kids absolutely love, and that is play dough and holidays. With this Valentines Day Play Dough Recipe, you can combine both their loves into one thing. Not only is this recipe super easy to make, but it makes Valentines Day even better! And, you finally have a way to get rid of those peeps without eating them.
Why Is Play Dough Important For Preschoolers?
Play dough is so important for preschoolers because they are quite literally learning through play without even knowing it. Here are just a few of the benefits of letting your child play with play dough:
- It strengthens their fine motor skills by strengthening fingers, hands, and wrists.
- As children gain control over their hand and arm movements, they gain coordination.
- Play dough builds a child’s imagination.
- It builds confidence because there is no right or wrong way to play with play dough.
- Discussing what they have made builds communication skills.
- It fosters cooperative play.
- Additionally, you can use play dough to teach counting, make letters, and anything you want a child to learn.
Can I Make Play Dough Without Cream Of Tartar?
This recipe has you making play dough without cream of tartar. So, YES you can make it without it. The most traditional recipe has you making play dough with flour, salt, water, and oil. However, other recipes have you using cornstarch and conditioner. In this recipe, we will use flour and Crisco.
What’s Needed for this Valentines Day Play Dough Recipe
Valentines Day Play Dough Recipe
Place peeps, 8 tablespoons of flour, and Crisco into a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave for 30 seconds. Take out and mix. If dough is sticky, add a little more flour.
Take out of bowl and knead in hands for about a minute. Add more flour if it’s sticking to your hands but not too much.
Now it’s ready to play with, have fun!
*Store in airtight baggie for up to a week. Re-heat in microwave for about 10 seconds to soften before play. Let cool for a minute before giving it to little kids.
If you are looking for more Valentine’s Day activity, check out these Adorable Valentine’s Day Card Ideas for Kids to Make. We also have some fantastic Valentines Day Mail Box Ideas.