Sharing is caring!
After some serious consideration, I decided to forgo my usual format for “Yoda’s Antics” this week and discuss our week which went horribly wrong for Yoda- the poor sausage!
Why Microchip Yoda?
Yoda is our first Family dog and John and I decided it was important to go an get him micro-chipped. Microchipping a dog is one of the best ways to increase your pet’s chances of getting home- if they ever become lost.
Unlike dog tags and collars, which can fall off or be removed, microchipping is a more permanent form of identifying a dog. Microchipping Dogs will also become legal in 2016, so we decided it was best to get it over and done with.
So my husband rang the local council who run a chipping scheme and booked an appointment for the chipping.
Unfortunately for me, my husband had to nip out of the house and left Yoda in my capable hands in the lounge.
Everything went wrong!
The lady who came to chip Yoda knocked on the door at the most awkward of times. I was on the toilet. I then had to get downstairs- which is not always easy for me and answer the door.
By the time I got down, the woman appeared a little annoyed. She requested to meet Yoda who had been sleeping and he was not in the slightest interested!
This is in no way normal for Yoda! Usually when someone comes to visit he jumps up and down in excitement.
For example my friend Sandra or Emily my helper. Yoda loves our guests. But on this one occasion he seemed to cower away. He looked unwell or scared or worried.
The lady looked concerned and asked what was wrong. I replied i did not know. it was the truth. She said there was something wrong with our Dog!
We then took Yoda outside. he ran around like a nutter, chasing his tale and being really unusual. He then had sudden loose stools repeatedly and the Microchip Lady said she could not chip him that day!
My daughter came outside and she picked up my dog to give him a cuddle. My child was immediately told off! The woman demanded my child put our dog down and told my 7 year old that she must never pick Yoda up!
I felt this was a little extreme. I belong to several face book groups and often see pictures of owners cuddling their dogs.
The woman then turned to me and pretty much said we didn’t know how to look after a dog.
She said he was sick and needed to get to the vets. Stated we must not be feeding him properly and that we must not be caring for him. This is not the case.
She also said, why don’t you have any dog toys! I turned around and said we have heaps. They simply were not in her sight! it’s true we have so many “real dog toys” anyone would say he is spoilt!
The woman then suggested I had not done his injections yet. I told her he was all up to date. She looked at me as if I were lying.
The woman left unable to chip Yoda (which was fair enough) but had wrongly Judged our home and our ability to care for Yoda.
Trip to the Emergency Vet’s
Not long after the Microchip lady left (thank goodness) Yoda became more distressed.
I knew something must be wrong but was not sure. My daughter told me the bad news. She had left a drink of HOT CHOCOLATE on the floor and caught Yoda drinking it.
We immediately got help to take Yoda to the Emergency Vet’s. It was a worrying Journey and quite stressful for all of us.
We saw the Vet who gave Yoda an emergency injection to help him vomit and expel all his stomach contents. They then took him and put him in a cage out the back.
We waited for an hour- after which time we were told Yoda had expelled everything from both ends and could now come home with his Charcoal medicine to remove any left over toxins from the body.
John and I had to force liquid charcoal into Yoda’s mouth. This was not an easy task. He did not like it. He held Yoda and opened his mouth wide while I squirted the black goo into his mouth.
It went everywhere. All over my clothes, the kitchen floor and all over yoda’s face.
We had to do this 3 times over the next 24 hours. Yoda was much better in the evening but poor Yoda had turned from a white Fluffy dog to a Gray dog. John gave yoda two showers since but he was still gray and looked as if he has been down the coal mines.
I didn’t share what had happened to our poor baby dog. Especially after the false assumptions of the Microchip lady. (She even suggested at one point we re-home him). How ridiculous!
The hot chocolate incident was a pure and simple accident and it could have happened to any pet owner. We are not perfect Dog owners and we are learning how to care for Yoda, just as a new mother learns to care for a child. It just happened to take place at the same time that an experienced “dog lover” who had never met Yoda before visited our home.
We feed Yoda well, My hubby and daughter walk him, we play with him and meet all his doggy needs to the best of our ability. He is a happy dog and this is his home. He is a family member and I will not be judged based on one hour of his life! Luckily Yoda is now back to his usual white fluffy self!
My Very First Dog!: A First Time Guide for Young OwnersPlaid Dog Collar for Dogs, Fashion Woven Checkers Pattern, Cute Puppy Collar by Friends Forever, Blue Medium 14-20OurPets IQ Treat Ball Interactive Food Dispensing Dog Toy