Sharing is caring!
Bariatric Surgery and My Eight Week Review
Today I went to Liverpool Hospital to see the Surgeon who performed my Gastric bypass 8 weeks ago. It was a simple appointment and started by going to the reception.
I was asked to wait in the reception room and then was called into a room to have my height and weight measured. I weighed in at 16 stone 11 pounds which is Amazing! My operation day weight was 19 stone 5 and my highest weight when I started dieting was if I recall correctly 21 stone 7.
My BMI was originally about 54. it is now down to 40 and yes i’m still obese but not morbidly obese and my blood sugar levels are much better now. I am no longer pre-diabetic.
So I went to see the Surgeon, Dr Magee. He is really lovely. He checked the medications I’m taking and any issues I’m having. I told him that I have been having issues with vomiting. If I eat a food that makes me vomit, then my insides becomes inflamed and I continue to vomit sometimes 6-12 times a day. We also discussed the foods I cannot personally eat.
I cant have certain meats, bread or pasta. I cant have fish or tuna or eggs. I am struggling to eat much more than soup, beans and mince and mash potatoes. It’s tough. We agreed that I’m struggling with the new technique of eating. I have to eat small tiny pieces which is easy but chewing for 20 seconds and then waiting for 20 seconds, thats the hard part. My surgeon told me to work on the technique some more.
He also said that I may have a join which is too small and I have to go back to see him in two weeks. If I’m still being sick at ten weeks, they will do an endoscopy and place a camera down into my stomach to check the join between the stomach and intestines.
I discussed how I’m waiting a long time to see my Endocrinologist and the fact I’m considering a new private Endocrinologist. My Surgeon actually told me that it may not be a good idea. He suggested rather than going to see someone private, where they will need to see my history and say I’m complex and just make further appointments, it may be best to see my current Endo privately.
I had not thought of this. It would get me seen sooner than 4 months and maybe my Endo would listen more or give me more time if I pay to see him. It’s something to consider. I’m now unsure of what to do. I was planning to go to London and now I’m confused about the next step forward. I really don’t know what I should do.
I finally went for blood tests and I will be going back in two weeks to be reviewed again. Hopefully all is okay and the results will be in range. That would be ideal.
I guess the main two things to come out of this review are the need to work on technique to see if that’s why I’m throwing up so much and the question of how do I proceed with my Adrenal issues. Do I stay or go, wait or pay out. It’s a fear of wasting money and not getting anywhere and the thought I should be entitled to fair treatment on the NHS and the fear of the unknown which is confusing me.
John (my husband ) suggested I think hard about it. I just don’t know what to do.