Learning the Baa Baa Black Sheep lyrics seems like a rite of passage for toddlers and preschoolers. Kids love this childhood favorite, making it an incredible tool for helping kids with literacy.
Using my free printable below, you will learn several ways to incorporate the classic Baa Baa Black Sheep poem and song into teaching basic reading skills.
Whether you are working with children in a classroom, or with your own child at home, it is important to know what your learning objectives are. Here are some objectives that go perfectly with the Baa Baa Black Sheep nursery rhyme:
- Students will be able to identify the letter B and its corresponding sound.
- Students will be able to understand reading from left to right.
- Students will be able to identify rhyming words within the song.
- Students will be able to identify alliteration.
- Students will be able to build confidence in repetitive reading/singing.
You might also enjoy these adorable sheep cupcakes and these sheep craft activities!
Baa Baa Black Sheep Literacy Activities
The following Baa Baa Black Sheep activities for preschoolers encourage literacy skills for each of the above objectives.
- Talk about the letter B and the sound it makes. Take a walk around the school or outside looking for other things that may begin with the letter B.
- Use the printable Baa Baa Black Sheep words to have students follow along as you sing the song with the class. This will help them to understand the concept of reading left to right.
- Give students the opportunity to read the song to you individually. This encourages reading and makes students feel confident in the fact that they can already read.
- Discuss alliteration (same sound in 2 or more words in a line). Have students come up with an alliteration for their name such as silly Sally sings, silly Steven smiles, or Susie saw sad snakes.
- Talk about words that rhyme in the song such as full/wool and dame/lane. Create rhyming word note cards that students can match up at centers or in a small group.
- If you want to incorporate a little math lesson, consider using this count the sheep printable.
BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP LYRICS
Baa, baa black sheep
Have you any wool
Yes sir, yes sir
Three bags full.
One for my master
And one for my dame
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.
DOWNLOAD THE BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP PRINTABLE HERE
About Angela Milnes
Angela Milnes is a Qualified Early Years Teacher who has specialised in Preschool and Kindergarten teaching. She has a wealth of experience teaching young children and is passionate about kids crafts and having fun as a family. Angela has also taught cooking skills and loves to share both family recipes and easy instant pot recipes here on The Inspiration Edit. Follow her on Pinterest!
Leave a Reply