The Liver Shrinking Diet For Gastric Bypass
Last year I announced I was going to have Gastric Bypass Surgery on the 19th January 2016. I wrote a post about my decision to have the operation and why I felt this is the best way to improve my health. I shared the Liver Shrinking Diet plan I was following and today I’m resharing this post.
The Liver Reduction Diet
I’m going to have a Gastric Bypass to give me a better quality of life and to help me reduce my weight which will in turn reduce the steroid dose I require for my Adrenal Insufficiency as reduce the cost of steroid medication if and when I go on the Adrenal Pump. It will also benefit me in many other ways and so my official bariatric preparations have begun.
Before any bariatric surgery, a patient is required to undergo a Liver Shrinking Diet which makes it easier for the surgeon to operate on the stomach. I had to start my diet two weeks before my operation which for me was the 5th of January. I decided I might as well eat healthier from the first and so I started eating healthier right away after all 2016 is my year for major weight loss and I had a bit of a chocolate overload during Christmas so I was ready to start on the 1st.
The Pre Op Diet is different depending where you live and which hospital or team your under. Here is my Liver Shrinking Diet which I have to follow and will follow until I have my Gastric Bypass which is ten days time.
Liver Shrinking Diet and Food Options
Breads, Cereals, Potatoes and Rice.
Choose 2 of the following per day:
- One Weetabix/ shredded wheat
- One slice toast/ bread
- 1/2 Pitta bread or bread roll
- Three crackers
- Too small egg size boiled potatoes
- 1/2 mediu m baked potato
- Two tablespoons of boiled rice/pasta
Milk and Dairy
Choose 2-3 of any of the following per day:
- 200mls Semi skimmed milk
- Small part of love that yoghurt or fromage frais
- 1oz Low fat hard cheese
- 4oz Cottage cheese
- 2oz Low fat soft cheese
Fruit and Vegetables
Choose 3 of the following per day (a maximum of two portions should be fruit)
- One large fruit, e.g apple, banana, orange
- Two small fruits, e.g plumbs, kiwifruit, tangerines
- 10omls unsweetened fruit juice (once per day only)
- 2 tablespoons of stewed/ tinned fruit and natural juice
- One small bowl of salad
- Two to Three tablespoons of cooked vegetables
Meat, Fish and Alternatives
Choose 2-3 of the following per day
- 2-3oz lean beef, pork, lamb, mince, chicken, turkey or oily fish
- 5oz white fish or Tuna in brine
- Two eggs
- Three thin slices of lean cold meat
- 40z Soya, tofu, quorn
The aim of the Liver Shrinking Diet is to have low carbs. Successfully shrinking the liver increases the chances of laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery. If the liver is too large and someone cheats this could cause serious post operative complications such as bleeding and leakage.
Other general points I have to follow are:
- Having 3 Meals a day
- Taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement
- Choosing foods low in fat and sugar
- Practice eating slowly and chewing food carefully.
- Practice separating fluids and meals by not drinking 10 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating.
- Avoid alcohol
- Do not smoke.
I was told at the hospital Pre-op that all gastric bypass patients are required to stop smoking before and after the operation.
So this is the I am following for the next ten days. It has not been easy and I felt quite hungry the first few days but I’ll stick to it and do my best to make my operation as risk free as possible.
I’m also trying hard to eat 20 pence size pieces of food, to chew slowly and drink more regular but not with meals.
This is my Liver Shrinking Diet and so far so good.
Read more about my Gastric Bypass Journey in my Gastric Bypass Category
Join The Inspiration Edit
Subscribe to get the latest posts, exclusive content and freebies from The Inspiration Edit